Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Songs from the Rorschach Mix Tape 002

Just because I happen to be here and only apropos of the fact that a) I can, and b) I feel like it, here's the video for Rainer Maria's "Catastrophe," which I would put on yr mix CD, if at any point in the past, you had asked me to make you a mix CD, which you didn't.

Rainer Maria, not to be confused with the poet Rainer Maria Rilke, put this song on their final album, Catastrophe Keeps Us Together. I'm drawn to this song because of its end-of-the-world overtones. I am an apocalypse junkie of sorts. My dreams are full of crashing planes and detonating disasters, and over time, I've learned to enjoy that giddy subconscious thrill of being a voyeur to your own imminent demise.

Plus, when it comes to excuses, nothing quite beats the end of the world. Think about it: when you go to meet the Great Guidance Counselor of the Afterlife, and he bitches you out for never following through on your potential, wouldn't it be ideal to snap back with, "Hey, Gary. Know what? The world ended. So get off my back." For this reason, I was a teeny bit disappointed that the whole Y2K End Times Scenario was such a bust--but then, one had to figure it would be, seeing as how it was predicated on the notion that the millenium would arrive one full year early. Oh well, we'll get another chance to stare down the destruction of everything and everyone we hold dear on December 21, 2012.

Enjoy the video, in which RM lead singer Caithlin de Marrais, who is crushworthy to the point that I never ever want to stop kissing her, presides over the twee, yet homicidal, machinations of two women who might be Tegan and Sara's stunt doubles. Plus, mirrors.

No comments: