Friday, April 06, 2007

Get to Know Andrew Griffin

Today I bring you our first designer. I feel it is appropriate that I begin with this man because he has been hanging around the theater for a while now. Working at various times as our Master Electrician and Assistant Light Designer, Andrew Griffin has spent more than his fair share up ladders in Casa. I will let him fill you in on his work history with us but he has a web page which you can visit here to see his work.

Andrew has had to come up with all kinds of interesting ladder configurations to work our admittedly limited grid space and has helped bring many lighting designers work to the stage. This time on References to Salvador Dali Make Me Hot, he gets to call the shots. And as we have been working our way through tech for the last couple of days, I think he is doing some damn fine work. Tech continues this weekend and we start previews on Wednesday. Get Ready!

1. What is your job in References to Salvador Dali Make Me Hot?

Lighting Designer

2. Have you ever worked for Rorschach before and how?

Beard of Avon (Assistant Lighting Designer), Arabian Night (Master Electrician), Monster (ALD/ME), Rough Magic (ALD/ME)

3. Do you have any recurring dreams and if so what are they about?

Umm - to be honest, I can't really remember my dreams and they are usually pretty normal anyway......which is sad.

4. Other than Dali which painters turn you on?

I assume you are not talking about scenic painters, so, Escher, Van Gough, Da Vinci, it depends on the day.

5. Have you been doing any special research for the show?

I search for Images that speak to me based on the feel that I am going for, the directors vision, and other research that is brought to the table. Everything is helpful when you are creating the right look and trying to break down the piece in your head. The hard part is breaking it down in the end and finding the 2 or 3 that are really your touchstones for the show.

6. Who is the biggest celebrity you have ever met and how?

I guess the biggest celebrity I have ever met isn't a "celebrity" per se, but he is well known in different circles. I had the fortune of being involved in a production with Director Stafford Arima (Nominated for the West End equivalent of a Tony but I can't remember what the hell it's called now), Music Director David Loud (Music Director for Ragtime and others on Broadway and the first national tour of Les Mis) and Choreographer Christopher Gattelli (Choregrapher for the Orignal Batboy off broadway and Tick Tick Boom) it was pretty awesome and we had a good time working together.

7. In a steel-cage-no-holds-barred-death match which character in Dali would win?


Oh - that all depends - the moon has the weird energy he brings when he's near people - And for all we know he could use that against you to kick your ass. But then again Gabby seems to be on the edge and like she could snap at any moment. It would be close but in the end my money's on Gabby.

8. What is the most impossible thing that happens in the play?


Lighting around this set (Robbie - The set is amazing, but you did give me a ceiling to deal with that covers the whole stage - but to Robbies credit he is helping me out).

9. If you could live inside of any painting what would it be?


I haven't a clue

10. If you had a theme song what would it be?

Recently (as much as a loser I feel for saying this) it would have to be Eminems 'Till I Collapse, been running around a lot.

No comments: