Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Profiles to Discourage

I set my fellow company members a task and so far 6 of them have accepted the challenge. I set them a list of questions and asked them to answer them. They all got the same questions and I told them they could be funny or not. I will post their reponses here and remember they really do love one another.

First on the block is one of our two Artistic Directors Jenny McConnell Frederick. She had this to say to the blog:


1. Place of birth?

The recently demolished Columbia Hospital for Women, right here in DC on election day of our great nation's bicentennial.

2. First experience in theater?

"Directing" my brother and cousins in reinactments of Brady Bunch episodes during Sunday family dinners at my grandparent's house....it wasn't just Brady Bunch episodes...sometimes it was really more like a variety show. The dog was occasionally the recipient of my directorial genius as well. (see photo)

3. Where you went to school?

The aptly named Chatterbox Nursery School, then rode the short bus (seriously) to the Gifted and Talented program at Springfield Estates, followed up by requisite pathetic Jr. High experience at Mark Twain, then on to Hayfield Secondary School where I won the Best Actress Award for my stunning portrayal of the disfigured Junie Moon in Tell Me That You Love Me, Junie Moon, (played by Liza Minnelli in the film version...we're so alike!) And from there I went to Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond--urban living with training wheels.

4. What do you do?

Direct, Produce, Write Checks, Sweep, Buy the Concessions, Feed the Actors, Stamp and Label the Postcards, Write Thank You Notes, Beg For Volunteers, Sweep, Mop, Narrowly Avoid Eviction, and Boss Scott Around...in no particular order.

5. What was your first experience with Rorschach?


Probably late 1998 or early 1999 when Randy told me he and our friend Jason were thinking of producing The Hairy Ape and calling themselves Poor Tom Productions. I think I said something tactful like "That's a stupid name. We can think of a better one." "They" become "We" and the rest is history.

6. Company member you would most like to be if you were not yourself?

Rahaleh. You know why.

7. Some story about working on a Rorschach play that either made you laugh or touched you deeply?

(This story did both...)

After a performance of God of Vengeance (about play about pimps, lesbians and prostitutes around the turn of the century), when a woman in her seventies came up and said to me, "You make Lesbianism look so inviting! I'm thinking of taking my friend Myrtle home with me tonight!"

8. Where do you think Rorschach will be in the next ten years?

I have lots of big ideas.....

(If you'd like to make a contribution to Rorschach Theatre's Jenny's Big Idea's Fund you can go to
www.boxofficetickets.com/rorschach.)

9. What is your favorite Rorschach show that you were not in?

All of them...Rorschach NEVER casts me. They suck.

10. Scott McCormick harmless adolecent or world conquering super villain?

Are those my only two choices?

No comments: