Friday, February 24, 2006

Bit Off More . . .

That master of merriment. The clown prince of bits. Hair like silver, voice like a slightly dyspeptic angel, more rhymes than Abe Vigoda and a man who would take a pie in the face for you in a fight. The man the myth the legend Mr. Michael John Casey is today’s Rorschachian of note.

MJ went equity a couple of years back and I remember him telling me that most people congratulated him. Jenny McConnell Frederick told him he was now dead to her. It's that kind of love and support that makes all of us soar like eagles. He has done the impossible and works regularly, despite Jenny's words of encouragement. He finished up his second year playing Bob Cratchit in
Ford's Theatre's A Christmas Carol. He also pulled an Elizabeth Berkeley in Show Girls move and went on as Scrooge for a couple of performances. Last year he was in Othello at Shakespeare Theater. He has appeared in two Rorschach shows A Clearing in the Woods and Ubu Roi. In Ubu his death scene is still something they teach actors not to do.

If I could only use one word to describe this man it would be "Committed." If I got to use two more words I would add "Should" and "Be." Mr. Michael John Casey!


1. Place of birth?

Rochester, NY

2. First experience in theater?

Sixth Grade. The King and I at the all-girls high school my sisters attended. My twin brother Mark and I were sons of the king and shared one line of dialogue. I had suggested we be put into a pair of large pants thereby making us conjoined (Siamese) twins of the king of Siam. I thought it would be hilarious. It was my first suggested "bit." It was rejected. They had no idea I would simply think of more, the fools!

3. Where you went to school?

St. Pius X Elementary, McQuaid Jesuit High School (editor: Where they are currently presenting My Fair Lady, tickets are still available), Nazareth College of Rochester, Catholic University of America. . . anything you want to know about Catholicism and education, I'm your man.

4. What do you do?

Actor

5. What was your first experience with Rorschach?

Saw God of Vengeance and performed in A Clearing in the Woods

6. Company member you would most like to be if you were not yourself?

Jason Stiles. I hate him and if I were him I could get do a lot of self loathing. Dinner and a show!

7. Some story about working on a Rorschach play that either made you laugh or touched you deeply?

The first time Jenny told me I could be fired and "replaced by a sock puppet." I replied with, "It would have to be one hell of a sock."

8. Where do you think Rorschach will be in the next ten years?

In a new space with more subscribers.

9. What is your favorite Rorschach show that you were not in?

(tie) JB, Master & Margarita

10. Scott McCormick harmless adolescent or world conquering super villain?

Ha! Trick question! Harmless super villain.

Scotty, can there be an eleventh question of 11. Would you rather......

No comments: