Monday, March 19, 2007

Butterfly:Man

There are certain shows that Rorschach does that have people leaving the theater asking questions. We have never been a theater that has wrapped a bow around a play. Where would be the fun if you knew there was a happily ever after? How challenging is it to have people leave your show going, well that was very nice how everything came to such a happy ending and the wicked were punished? We are not the neat and tidy kind of theater company and I don't expect we ever will be.
That being said there are some shows that can eventually lead you to some sort of understanding and others that simply defy explination.
As we have begun to dig into References to Salvador Dali Make Me Hot, we just have more questions. And I for one couldn't be happier. My most recent show had a happy ending, but that was a Christmas show and I don't think many people want to leave the theater around the Holidays asking themselves the deeper questions surrounding the moral truths and humanity associated with Scrooge and Sugar Plum Fairies. Even most classical plays end with the hero winning and the villian punished.
What we have here in Dali is a beautiful play which plays with the linear nature of time, explores the reality of dreams and has no easy answers.
Jose Rivera, has constructed a play where even the straight forward seeming normal world of the reality we exist within is called into question.
I wish I could be more specific without giving away the play but I don't want to ruin it. And I don't want you asking the question this play begs before you have even bought your ticket.
I do leave you with this thought:
The great Taoist master Chuang Tzu once dreamt that he was a butterfly fluttering here and there. In the dream he had no awareness of his individuality as a person. He was only a butterfly. Suddenly, he awoke and found himself laying there, a person once again. But then he thought to himself, "Was I before a man who dreamt about being a butterfly, or am I now a butterfly who dreams about being a man?"

No comments: