Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Get to Know Rex Daugherty


Get to Know is one of my favorite features here on the blog, because I don't write most of it and with Jason Linkins writing the questions I have even less to do than usual. So first on the block is our leading man Rex. You may remember Rex from last summer's Dream Sailors, where he was bitten, shot and got the girl. He is the one with the beard to your right. He's a good good man! Enjoy!

Here's my curse-free questionnaire...you fickin butch!
-Rex

1. Who are you, and what are you doing in or on or around 1001?

Who, me? Well, stranger, I'm so glad you asked. I'm the heavy. Randy brought me in to really lay down the law. And let me tell you something - all 155 pounds of my Irish white self can do it. I've made grown women cry. Also, my name is Rex. But my cast mates call me Shahriyar, or Your majesty, or King...or Alan. Because I make them. Alan is an awesome name.

2. So. No pressure, but you're sort of kicking off Season 9 for us. You'll be basically setting the tone for the whole summer. What are you and this show bringing to the table?

Well, uh... that's a great thing to...s ee what we're doing is all about... hm. Yes. I think we'll start off with a fang.
No.
A bang.
(he shakes it off)
I think this show is a perfect piece for Rorschach. The driving pulse of 1001 is the root of all theatre - story telling. And because of the vastness of myth, legend and accumulated tales that 1001 (both Jason's play and the traditional folklore) contain, it's a great launching point for a season of magical, larger than life stories. Also, if we started with Living Dead in Denmark, everyone would be killed by zombies and there'd be no other shows this summer.

3. Jason Grote's plays sort of pulse with a punch-drunk intelligence, and this one sort of stews with lots of odd pop-cultural and historical references. Are there any in particular that jumped out at you as you read the script?

Osama bin Ladin is in this play. That jumped out as I read the script. But I also am really intrigued by the fairy tale version of New York that we see in this play. Jason compares Man Hat's (Manhattan) sky scrappers with the Tower of Babel. And the tale that follows is all about a labyrinth of subway tunnels, leading to another world...like Babel led to so much diversity of language and scattering of people...or maybe I'm trying too hard to connect the plots. No, I mean. Dots.

4. 1001 has got a strong romantic side to it as well. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being "no chance" and 10 being "as certain as a sunrise," how would you assess the chances of an audience member getting some lovin' if they brought someone special to see the play?

This one goes to 11. Uh, ya...bring someone special...but be warned that I might end up kissing them. That tends to happen in this play.

5. Do you own your own scimitar? If no why not?

No. I'm a nunchuck man.

No comments: