Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Get to Know Jennifer Maisel

The blog recently had taken on the flavor of a playwright whose who of late. With the various email contributions of Jose Rivera during References . . . and now with the contribution of Jennifer Maisel. Jennifer has been in town helping her little bird take flight. She has been in and out of town on several occasions helping to shape and reshape birds as it draws ever closer to production.

Jennifer is known to DC area audiences for Theater J's production of her play The Last Seder a couple of years back. The fact that she has worked so hard to develop the play with Rorschach speaks volumes about her and we are glad to welcome her into our tribe. Enjoy!


1. What is your job in producing birds?

I wrote it.

2. When you were a child what if any stories or fairy tales effected you the most?

Any story it seemed - I'd lie in bed and be a different one of the twelve dancing princesses every night. I'd read A Wrinkle in Time again and again. My parents would punish me by taking my books away. Yeah, I know...

3. Is this the first time you have worked for Rorschach? If no, when have you done for us before? If yes, why did you decide to come and play in our sandbox?

The fates aligned, the witches cast their spell, or Tim Getman (who starred in my play The Last Seder at Theatre J) was sleeping on Wendy McClellan's floor during the Humana Festival (where Wendy was directing my play Goody Fucking Two Shoes) and there was drinking and talking about theatre dreams and Wendy and I were talking about this play of mine we'd been wanting to workshop for years...and so the magic began....This production is my first experience with Rorschach - we've been workshopping the play over the last year and a half.

4. What is one impossible thing that happens in birds?

In my mind it's all possible.

5. What is your favorite bird?

I don't play favorites.

6. How do you think or hope audiences will react to birds?

I don't want to make predictions - I only hope they are there excited about going on the ride.

7. If you had a theme song what would it be?

Today it's Amy Winehouse's "You Know I'm No Good" or "It's a Hard Knock Life" from Annie - no, that's my 5 year old singing in the background. Tomorrow - who knows?

No comments: