Bobby Rector is on the block today in this edition of Ask the Cast. However before we get to know this man who puts the Monster in Monster (or does he? Discuss!), we have some more internet love to share from Brad Hathaway at Potomac Stages.
Each of the characters, if you will pardon the expression, comes to life in a production that feels smoothly created, not at all like the haphazard patch job that is the central character pieced together from spare parts by the good (?) doctor. That patch job is the most fun of the piece, however, as Robert Rector takes us through the evolution of the creature's consciousness of self. -Potomac Stages
I think we can pardon the pun, Brad. If you want to read the whole review follow this link.
Now on to the man of many parts (and I ask for no forgivness for my puns because they are good) Robert "Bobby" Rector. Bobby has been getting some excellent notice for his portrayl of Dr. F's creation. His physical work is outstanding and you are drawn and repelled by his creature at the same time. Here he answers the questions put to him by Jason Linkins:
1. Where are you from, originally?
2. Where did you go to school?
George Mason University
3. What is the last book you read for fun?
1984 by George Orwell
4. When you first learned that you would be working on MONSTER, what was the first thought that crossed your mind?
Does this mean I have to wear bolts in my neck?
5. If you could reanimate anyone, who would it be and why?
What Jeremy said.
6. As a kid, what was your favorite Halloween candy?
7. What tune is going on your "Awesome MixTape 2006."?
Anything that is NOT played on 99.5.
8. What story of primal horror would you like to see Rorschach stage next year?
Monster II, in which Frankenstein creates another monster to fight the first, but they end up teaming together to kill...his pets, I guess at this point.
9. What are your words to live by?
Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony.
- Mahatma Gandhi
10. I'm going to quote you out of context. Okay? Go.
Holler at your boy...when you...see... him in the street.
11. What's something you do in every show to maximize the audience's fear?
I kill most of the other characters.
12. Why DID Victor give the Creature a [REDACTED]?
Let's just be glad he gave him a REDACTED and not a REDACTED.