Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Of Sound Mind

Matt Frederick, how could I not love the man. I was best man at his wedding and there are not too many people I can say that about. I spent the evening with Matt and his lovely wife Jenny last night and we watched American Idol. I know just the demographic Fox is going after with that show, men in their mid-thirties. The thing was that Matt and I both had similar reactions to the performers and we could watch it and not have our heads explode. I feel Matt, like I, is a student of Popular Culture. His knowledge of music is exhaustive and he is one of those people who always seems to be in a good mood even when the world is turning to crap. He has great taste in vintage clothing. In particular he wears brown velvet tuxedoes better than anyone I know. Some nights he uses his musical knowledge and taste to go to that place and do that thing, nudge, nudge, wink, wink.

He has designed sound for several Rorschach shows, the last two in succession. Credits include: Ubu Roi, Master and Margarita, The Scarlet Letter, The Beard of Avon, and Fair Ladies at a Game of Poem Cards.

1. Place of birth?

I was born in Washington, DC, in a hospital?

2. First experience in theater?

My first experience as an audience member was seeing The Big Slam at Woolly Mammoth, way back in 1997. My fist job in theatre was The Old Neighborhood at Theatre J, hired by our own Randy Baker.

3. Where you went to school?

I went to High School at Parkdale in Riverdale MD, and before you make any wisecracks about PG county schools, remember this...Sugar Ray Leonard went there! I then received an honorary degree from the University of Life.

4. What do you do?

I'm a Sound Designer

5. What was your first experience with Rorschach?

Almost worked on the Hairy Ape, but a series of panic attacks prevented that, we don't discuss that anymore. The first Rorschach show I saw was Rhinoceros.

6. Company member you would most like to be if you were not yourself?

I would have to say it's a tie between Tracy Olivera and Hugh T. Owen.

7. Some story about working on a Rorschach play that either made you laugh or touched you deeply?

I remember on Master and Margarita having to take apart the mini-disc player and do some delicate surgery to save the disc that was safely trapped inside, this a half hour before the show, that made me both laugh and cry. And when Grady was way up high trying to fix the trap door, was that the same night?

8. Where do you think Rorschach will be in the next ten years?

I'm not sure where we'll be, but I know we'll be totally cool!

9. What is your favorite Rorschach show that you were not in?

A Clearing in the Woods.

10. Scott McCormick harmless adolescent or world conquering super villain?

I would have to lean towards harmless adolescent.

No comments: